Monday, 19 April 2010

looking after the essentials

a welcome baby boy gift

A good friend of mine recently had their second child, and I knew straight away just what I wanted to make* for them. It's a zip up bag to hold those essential baby things that you need when you are just popping out for a little while, maybe to run some errands or a quick visit for a much needed cuppa.

baby essentials

The bag currently contains :: a cloth nappy {for spills or accidents} :: a couple of newborn disposable nappies :: a wondersuit :: a singlet :: a packet of wipes :: some nappy sacks :: and a tube of bottom balm. Everything that you would need in a pinch.

Happy Washing

The fabric that I chose was Happy Washing, the perfect design for both the recipient and the purpose of the bag. My friend was a vetrinarian nurse before she had children, and adores animals {especially dogs} so I loved the cheeky puppy on this fabric... and how could I resist a bag, that is intended for washing up baby's bum, saying "Happy Washing" and show-casing all those adorable washing lines? I could not.

baby essentials bag

The inside is lined with some natural linen that I've had for ages, and sports one simple pocket for holding nappy liners or possibly some cash and a mobile phone. Now to find the time to pop over and meet the little fellow and hand over our gift. I really do hope that they like it.

* totally inspired by the lovely bag that Di made for the same purpose, which you can read about here.