Thursday, 10 June 2010

filling growing bodies

banana muffins

Try as I might, I just can't seem to fill my kids up at the moment. Every time that I turn around one of them is asking for food! I give them a sandwich and a piece of fruit before we step out to run some errands, and next thing one of them is complaining that they are hungry. I feel like I spend every {well most} waking moment in my kitchen...

Something that I have done a few times lately, when I'm at my wit's end listening to the endless pleas for more food, is throw together a quick batch of banana muffins. Technically they are banana cupcakes, but we skip the icing in the name of expediency; they don't even get a chance to cool before they are all gobbled up.

My recipe makes 9 cupcakes and is so easy-peezy...


115 grams of each, butter, self-raising flour, caster sugar. 2 eggs, and ¼ teaspoon nutmeg.


Mix together until well combined, about 2 - 3 minutes, then add 115 grams of mashed banana and mix in. Divide evenly into a muffin tray lined with 9 patty-pans.


Give the kids the bowl to lick {in a bid to pacify them} while the cupcakes bake in a 175°C oven for 20 minutes.


Once cooked, place cupcakes on cooling rack {within reach of little fingers} and let ravenous children eat them just as soon at they don't burn their fingers on them. Pray that this will stave off their hunger pangs for an hour or so.