Monday, 31 May 2010

Our Inaugural Knitting Weekend

the knitting girls

A little over a year ago saw the humble beginnings our our knitting group. A group of women who knew of each other in real life, and got to know each other a little better through our respective blogs. In the beginning we formed a group, with the idea of meeting once a week for six weeks and learning how to knit better. Each week one of us hosted the group at our house, and we brought in our resident expert (our Mum!) to assist with any technical difficulties.

What our little knitting group has become has been a complete surprise to me. I never realised how much I needed such a beautiful group of women in my life, women who laugh with me, cry with me, listen to me, share with me, talk over the top of me, tell me to shut-up once in a while, inspire me, amaze me, and share this journey through life that we are all on. This group of ladies has been a revelation to me.

getting busy creating

So, a while back we came up with the idea of going on a 'knitting weekend' to Bendigo. We all wanted to visit the mill up there, and life is so busy with smalls that a day trip is difficult, so instead we booked a gorgeous house and made a weekend of it.

Funnily enough our 'knitting' weekend seemed to consist of more sewing that knitting, but the company was excellent, the food exquisite {which is what happens when each person only has to cook one meal and has time to do it well!} We enjoyed a gorgeous (faux) vegetarian lasagna, smoked chicken paninis, a succulent roast lamb followed by a lemon meringue cheesecake, and a cooked breakfast on Sunday morning; and that's not even mentioning all the wine and nibblies throughout the weekend.

dinner

the best 'vegetarian' lasagna dessert

and of course our inaugural knitting weekend wouldn't be complete without a trip to the mill...

lots of yarn

Thank you girls for an amazing weekend, who knew that we would make such a great group... I am so looking forward to doing this again {just as soon as we can all get another 'leave pass'}