Wednesday, 9 June 2010

rainbow cake :: how to

cake





slice

Now before I move on and commit the Rainbow Party only to the realm of memories and archives, I thought that I would share some more details about the cake. Thank you to all of you who left beautiful comments on my post the other day, and truly if you also make this cake, just be prepared for the collective in-take of 'Wow!' breaths as you cut into it and reveal the surprise. It's was enough to make my heart sing for days.

The inspiration for the cake came from here, but the idea of a coconut-less coconut cake with lemon icing just didn't fill me with glee, and after watching the video I was also a little concerned that the icing would 'fall off'... so instead I used my trusty vanilla-vanilla recipe that I have been using to make cupcakes for years.

Vanilla-Vanilla 'Magnolia Inspired' Cupcake Recipe

INGREDIENTS
1½ cups self-raising flour
1¼ cups plain flour
250 grams butter, softened
2 cups caster sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

METHOD
1. Pre-heat oven to 180°C
2. In a small bowl, combine the flours and set aside
3. In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until light and smooth.
Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy. About 3 minutes.
Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Add the dry ingredients in 3 parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla.
With each addition, beat until incorporated, but do not over-beat.
Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl to make sure the ingredients are well blended.
4. Divide batter into 6 separate bowl, in equal parts {I used a ladle to get roughly the same amount in each bowl}
5. Dye each portion of batter a different colour of the rainbow, using food colouring. My layers were red, orange, yellow, green, blue, mauve.
6. Line the base of a 20cm spring form pan, and grease using cooking spray.
7. Pour in one portion of coloured batter and spread evenly.
8. Bake for approximately 15 minutes, but check regularly. {I covered my pan with foil part-way through cooking to prevent the top browning too much} Cake is cooked when an inserted skewer comes out clean.
9. Remove pan from oven and cool in tin for 5 minutes before cooling completely on wire rack.
10. Repeat steps 6 to 9 for each other colour.
11. Once layers are completely cool, stack in rainbow order, with icing between each layer. Fill gaps on the sides with more icing, then spread icing up the sides and over the top. Decorate at desired.

Vanilla Buttercream Icing
INGREDIENTS
250 grams butter, softened
6-8 cups pure icing sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

METHOD
1. Place the butter in a large mixing bowl. Add 4 cups of the sugar and them milk and vanilla.
2. On the medium speed of an electric mixer, beat until smooth and creams, about 3-5 minutes.
3. Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition (about 2 minutes), until the icing is thick enough to spread evenly without 'running' {note: you may not need to add all the sugar}

I hope that this all makes sense, and if you do make one of these, I would love it if you left a comment on this post so that I can go and have a peak. Enjoy!