Wednesday, 18 August 2010

Gearing up for Spring

strawberry runners

While out for breakfast at a local nursery on Saturday morning, I came across some strawberry runners; something that I had been meaning to find for some time, and hadn't gotten around to. I bought different varieties, and brought them home with me.

the 'herb' garden

Of course that meant that I then had the urge to find some time to get out into the garden over the weekend. So on Sunday, rain and all, rugged up in my anorak, I got out and did some maintenance. First up I decimated the parsley again. Word on the street is that "in a house where the woman rules the roost, the parsley will flourish", well my parsley seems to think that I'm in charge around here, so I showed it who was boss... and discovered that there were about eight plants in there ~ no wonder it's been growing so vigorously!

Once that was out of the way, I planted my potted strawberry straight into the bed, which will hopefully ensure a reasonable crop this year {which would be the first ever} and I planted the strawberry runners along the edge. Fingers crossed that we get ourselves some home grown treats this year.

the broad bean paddock

broad beans are settingmini cabbage

Bed number 2 didn't need much work, my carrots are all ready for harvesting, the broad-bean paddock is setting, and my mini-cabbages seem to be coming along just fine.

winter garden 1

Bed number 3 is pretty much finished now, we've eaten all of the spinach, beets, and broccoli. The last of the carrots will be out soon, and the onions need to stay. I have plans to build up the soil for the next 4 to 6 weeks with some sheep manure and straw, while I get some early seedlings started under glass, then it's on the spring plantings.

I'm being a little more structured this time, and have sat down with my gardening books and formulated a planting plan, taking more interest in the crop rotation. This bed will be planted out with legumes, and bed number 2 with brassicas/other.

As I've noted before, I definitely feel better within myself having been outside and played in the dirt, so I'm quite keen to start gearing up for the spring this year. Stay tuned, I'll be sure to include my ongoing adventures here...