Thursday, 21 October 2010

October 21 :: the makings of happy

mornings are the best

While overall my days have felt pretty hard this week, I also recognise that there are certain times of the day that are quite pleasant. One of those is generally first thing in the morning, Mia has just woken up and sits next to me in her high chair while I feed her {yes, such the baby!} mushed up weetbix, mixed with warm goats milk. In between filling her mouth with spoonfuls, I am also catching up on my blog reading, and filling my mouth with my latest favourite breakfast, Di's Bircher Muesli.

At the beginning of 2009 I joined Di on a craft weekend down the coast, I was pregnant with Mia if I recall correctly, and I had the task of providing breakfast on the Sunday morning. Pancakes with ice-cream, banana, walnuts and maple syrup. Yum!... Di provided the breakfast on the Saturday morning, a large bowl of bircher muesli, toasted bagels and home-made conserves. At the time I remember thinking, yum to the bagels, but I wasn't so sure about the bircher. Cold, gluggy, porridge?... not really my thing. How wrong I was!

Di's bircher is as far from 'gluggy' as you can get, it has texture, flavour, and leaves me with the most glorious full-tummy feeling. The scales fell from my eyes that morning, and I spent the next 18 months wishing that I had asked Di for the recipe.

A few months ago I joined Di again for craft camp, sewjourn this time, and trust me when I say, I was not leaving until I had that recipe in my possession. Of course Di was the epitome of generosity, and happily divulged her 'secret recipe'... and Cam and I have been enjoying it for breakfast most mornings since.

favourite breakfast

As it stays in the fridge overnight, I soon found myself a jar to put mine in, thus saving on glad-wrap, as I screw the lid on while it soaks, I then add in the grated apple and yogurt in the morning, before mixing it all up and enjoying straight from my jar.

So without further ado, and with permission of course, I can now share the best* bircher recipe::

Ingredients
900 grams rolled oats
2 tablespoons LSA
¾ cup slivered almonds
¾ cup hazelnuts
¾ cup saltanas
+ ½ cup dried dates, chopped**

Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container.

To prepare:
Place ⅓ cup of mixture into a bowl and {just} cover with apple juice. Leave to soak in the fridge overnight. Prior to serving, add ½-1 grated apple {skin on} and a spoonful or two of greek style natural yogurt. Mix together and serve.

Note: there are lots of variations to this recipe, you can add different nuts and dried fruit to suit your taste. You can grate pear instead of apple, or serve with stewed rhubarb {as Cam does}, the possibilities are endless.

So go on, I urge you, try this out, it is so, so good!

* in my humble opinion
** optional, Cam has this variation, not I.