Tuesday, 26 October 2010

October 26 :: gardening

under glasstomato seedling

Sometimes I wonder why I post all the ins-and-outs of my gardening adventures here, but when it comes down to it, my archives are such a wonderful reference for me. I get such a kick out of looking back at what my garden looked like in the beginning, and the first plantings, and then what we've eaten from it.

So here is another look :: Bed 3 Spring Planting 2010

bed 3 :: spring planting

I've been eagerly awaiting the 24th of this month, that is the day that my Moon Calendar told me was the beginning of eleven days where I could plant out my above-ground crops. I know. I know! but I can't help myself... so when Sunday finally rolled around I was super keen to get outside and get my tomato seedlings in.

I noticed that although I had pre-prepared this bed a couple of months ago with sheep manure and straw, the soil level had still dropped. I finally had a chance to use my compost*, the one that I have been tending vigilantly for the past few months. I was delighted [and no, I am not exaggerating] to discover that it was well rotted, sweet smelling, full of worms, and raised my soil level by around 100mm. Perfect.

I then covered the entire bed with another 100mm of pea straw mulch, then got to planting. My tomatoes are a bit of a pot-luck as I can't remember which varieties I planted where, but I do know that I have a couple of black krim beefsteaks in, some stripey ones [nts: must check the packet] and possible a tommy tomato or two. I also planted a couple more seeds in their own hot-houses, so that I wouldn't have to transplant them later.

taken 2nd October ~ tomato seeds

My hot houses are these light fittings that Cam picked up for me a while back, I've just attached some glad-wrap to the tops and tied them off with string. They just pop on over whatever plants I want, and seem to be doing a good job.

I got out there again on Monday and planted some spinach, rocket and mesclun lettuce mix; just because it feels like spring, and salad weather is just around the corner. It would be nice to be ready.

* I think that I am going to have to do a post on the 'life-cycle' of my compost bin, I find it that fascinating....