Saturday, 4 December 2010

some thoughts about starting school

Having my first child start school is a big thing, in fact having any child start school is a big thing, I think that having my youngest {last} child starting school is going to be, nevermind... I don't want to think about that! Anyway, for these last few months we have been entrenched in the finishing of his kinder year {putting together transition statements, talking to his teacher, etc} and getting him {and us} ready for the start of his school life.

{pre}prep

He has taken part in a {pre}prep program at the school that he will be attending, and has taken that all in his stride; his biggest complaint?... "all the other kids get to wear their uniform, why can't I?" We told him that it was because we are saving it until he starts 'real' prep next year, the 'real' reason was that we only picked it up last week, and there was no way that I was going to let it get worn and possibly wrecked before we have even started the school year... of course, I also want to see him starting his very first day of school in an immaculate uniform; it's probably the first and last time that will ever happen.

So while all of this stuff has been new and exciting for him, I have also been surprised by how much mental energy it all takes, there's the building level of excitement about him starting this new phase, then there's trying to get my head around the logistics of it, when do we need to be there, what is the starting day procedure, what uniform do we need, how do we pay for that, when do we get his school shoes, what school lunch box should we use... then I have to remember to breathe....

lotsa labels

I think that I have done as much as I can for now, we've ordered {and received} labels for his clothes and belongings, we have the school uniform hidden in our wardrobe, I've been to every seminar and information night on offer, I've spoken to other Mums, and I've maintained an upbeat demeanor when talking to Angus about school. So now, I think that it is time for me to turn to other things, making presents for much loved kinder teachers, squaring away Christmas shopping, and {soon} decorating the house in preparation for Santa's coming, and trying to get into that Summer feeling... and trust that when the time comes, we are ready. It will be okay.