Saturday, 16 April 2011

Finger Buns

resting

portions

baking

finger bun

There are a number of reasons why I bake, the first is because I like to eat, especially sweet, baked food, but I also bake because sometimes I'm too stingy to pay for baked goods :: because I feel like eating something, but I don't want to put three kids in the car and head out :: and also because it feels so satisfying to make something myself that is as good or better than what I can buy.

Yesterday I made finger buns, for all of the reasons above. Firstly, we had a play-date scheduled and I wanted to have a snack for all the kids {and maybe a little for us Mums} to enjoy :: I felt like eating finger buns, but couldn't be bothered piling the kids into the car and stopping at the bakery :: because I worked out that for 3 kids + 3 kids + 2 mums, it was going to cost me $12 {at least} at the bakery for said buns and I didn't want to fork out that money :: AND because I have google, and google delivered GOLD on the recipe front!

I'm getting quite used to making my own bread, so it was no extra effort to make these buns instead, I had some little helpers for the whole process, so it was actually a fun thing to do while on school holidays. The finished product, while not quite as light as those from the bakery, was still pretty light, and tasted so sweet. It was also pretty cool to finally find out how to make an icing that tastes fairly similar to the stuff that they use on the boston buns... next time I may even try to make a big bun for slicing and buttering... mmmmmm!

Recipe adapted from the Finger Bun recipe at Best Recipes.

Ingredients
Bun Dough
2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon bread improver*
3 teaspoons dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon oil
2/3 cup saltanas
3/4 cup tepid water

Icing
1 cup icing sugar
2 tablespoons margarine
1 tablespoon warm water
100s & 1000s

Method
Combine first five ingredients in a bowl, add oil and water and stir until a dough starts to form. Flour hands then start kneading dough in the bowl until is comes together. Turn out onto floured surface, then knead for 10-15 minutes until dough is elastic {note: I found this dough quite sticky, so floured my hands quite regularly while kneading} Add sultanas at end and knead through.

Place dough in bowl and cover with a clean tea-towel. Place somewhere warm and drought free until dough has doubled in size. Once doubled in size, turn out onto a floured surface and knock back. Cut into 8-10 portions, roll each one into a sausage and place onto a floured tray, leave 1-2 cm between each piece. Cover with a tea-towel and leave to prove in a warm, drought free place until each portion is slightly touching.

Cook at 190℃ {I cooked at 160℃ because my oven is fan forced and HOT} for 15-20 minutes, checking regularly for colour. Cool on a wire rack.

To make the icing, place the ingredients in a bowl and mix with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.

Ice buns once they are cool, and roll in the 100s & 1000s.

* because I use such cheap plain flour