Monday, 23 May 2011

organising their art

4 year old :: art

As any parent would know, it is a challenge trying to keep on top of all the creations that our kids present to us, there's {massive} paintings and collages coming home from kinder, very important learning sheets from school, mural sized art displays, and of course the prolific drawing that happens at home.

4 year old :: art

5¾ year old :: drawing

5¾ year old :: drawing

Up until now, I've had an awful time figuring out what to do with it all. I have a massive plastic tub in one of the cupboards stuffed full with 3 years worth of kinder paintings, I've had it piled on top of my fridge, in a blue ikea bag in the laundry, stuffed under paperwork, in binders, it's taking over my house!

Many people have suggested solutions... make it into wrapping paper, only keep the 'best'{?} ones, get the kids to choose their favourites, frame it and rotate the image regularly... all excellent suggestions; but still i've stalled.

My dilemma is that I love it all {ok, maybe not the carpet scraps glued to a bit of paper, but whatever} I love the growth and development that it shows in each of my children, I love watching the blobs start to develop faces and belly buttons, and then legs and arms, then fingers and a separate head. It truly is fascinating. I watch with interest whether the faces that my kids draw are smiling, or yelling, or frowning. I'm interested in the colours that they use, and how much of the paper they use... clearly I'm going to have trouble getting rid of any of their art.
Prep :: Art
But now I've finally found a solution that is working for me.

I have a blank area of wall in the dining room, and when I unload the worksheets from his school bag, or wrestle the {massive} kinder art that she's made, through the door, I pin it up on the wall with a few pieces of bluetac, take a photo of it, separate it into piles {landfill or recycle} and get rid of it. The brilliant part of this method {according to me} is that all of the files are dated, so from here on in I really will have a chronologically ordered record of their art|development to look back on and share with them, and it takes up next to no {physical} space, just a couple of external hard-drives.

Of course, I will keep the occasional piece of art {a little helicopter that angus drew in kinder springs straight to mind} but on the whole, I can feel guilt free getting the bulk of it out of my cupboards and out of my house; and believe me when I say, that there is a whole lot of weight off my mind.