Saturday, 10 September 2011

a {proper} garden of her own...

thank-you for sending me such kind words to my last post, if i've not spoken to you, my dad is on the mend, and while still in hospital, he is recovering and we feel so blessed that he is still here with us ~ much love.

... continued from this post.

I've enjoyed seeing the pride that she is full of now that her garden is starting to grow. When we staked out her section of a garden bed {so that she could reach all of her plants, without climbing up into the garden} and she planted the seeds in there, she promised me that she would not walk on the garden anymore... and other than one little slip where all three of them got in it, she has been true to her word.

her garden

While at the hardware this week, I bought her a new watering can. It's just the right size, small enough for her to handle, but large enough to actually bring some much needed water to her garden... and use it she has, even though there was not yet any evidence of growth, she trusted my word that the soil needed to be kept damp, and she regularly headed outside to water her garden.

carrot seedlings

There was much excitement when she noticed the first seedlings popping out through the soil, and she came inside to get me, so that I could go out and see {although I will admit that I had already seen them as I was checking just as impatiently as her} ... I too am super impressed, as I've planted carrots three times this year in my garden, and I'm yet to see any seedlings pop up at all, so far I'm zero from many hundred. However, with her vigilant care, we are already seeing results.

this end

In this end, we planted two potato plants and some spinach {or maybe it was coriander?... I forget} and a hyacinth bulb at the back... and as you can see, we've lots of green bits popping up.

and that end

and in the other end, we planted the carrots, and the coriander {or maybe it was spinach?... I forget} and another two hyacinth bulbs. The potted colour in the middle was a tactical ploy, in the hope that if something was growing, she wouldn't give up hope waiting for the seeds to germinate and pop up through the soil.

It appears to have worked.

showing off her garden

and the best part... watching her proudly leading everybody who is important to her, out to the garden to show them HER garden.