Sunday, 11 March 2012

not too busy for a home-cooked meal

More often than not, lately, I feel that I am in such a tail-spin. I have things that need to be done. Lots of things. But I'm just too busy to actually get to them....

Then I read this article* via Cup of Jo :: Are you as busy as you think? and it really got me thinking. Yes, I am busy. I have a lot of balls that I juggle, kids schedules and taxi service, studying, home-duties, family commitments, social interests... however, none of these things are out of the ordinary. We all have lots we have to do... what got me though, was how many times I gravitate back to the computer, particularly the social aspects of the internet. It got me thinking some more about the structure of my days, and that there really is some room for improvement...

That said, Cam has been overseas all week and won't be back until late Sunday night, so this week has seen all of my short-comings come into sharp focus. Unfortunately, by Friday I felt that I had been poisoned! We've eaten so much take-away, and nutritionally devoid food that I felt like I'd eaten the poisoned apple, it looked so good on the outside, but given the state of my being, clearly it was not good at all.


soup
So yesterday, the TV was switched off, the Wii on the black-list, and they all got outside for plenty of play. Sure there was moments of "i'm bored"s and plenty of whining about the lack of television, BUT we had a much better day.

I spent some time in the kitchen making chicken and corn soup from scratch, which we enjoyed for lunch {and because they had been outside playing, instead of inside lounging & snacking, they ate everything that was dished up to them}. We also enjoyed a lovely homecooked dinner, and then {surprise, surprise} they happily headed off to their beds for a good {long} nights sleep.

I know that it's not rocket science, but lately I've been so caught up in my BUSY life, that I've forgotten about the simple stuff that actually makes the journey pleasurable. So, duly noted, and back to basics {and a bit of structure} we go...

* If you're friends with me on Facebook, you would have already see this link, but it interested me so much that I'll mention it again here :: an interesting article about 'balance' and happiness :: What the happiest and most successful women to differently