Monday, 24 September 2012

Featuring, the cake

One of my fondest memories of my childhood is the time that I would spend dreaming about my birthday cake, my nose stuck deep into the Woman's Weekly Birthday cake book. It's no surprise that children today still do the same thing, in fact it's one of my favourite things, watching them inspecting the book and deciding which cake it will be this year.

On the flip side, the fear about which cake they will chose, and whether I will actually be able to deliver the goods, that's a parent thing.

This year I was reliably informed that I would be making the fairy castle cake. {Um, really?... that very complicated looking thing?...oh}

and then I remembered my fourth birthday, and my Mum delivering the type-writer cake into my hands. I remember vividly how much I wanted that cake, and how delighted I was when it was a reality. I don't remember it being cut up or eaten, although I would hazard a guess that Mum still does. Oh, the pain of watching all of your hard work being demolished a mere few hours after completion. The pain... so I made the cake.

the cake

I was in the kitchen before 7am and didn't get out again until 11am... there was construction, then icing, and chocolate melting, more construction, I even piped the gates and vines {first time piping chocolate} then the final details and sprinkles everywhere. Most of this was done with a curious audience sitting on the stools opposite me, asking questions and making observations.

So the cake was sat in the middle of the table, pride of place, and garnered plenty of oohs and ahhs.

While the kids played, the parents chatted {and goo'd over the newest member} until present time rolled around.

present time

her stash

She received lots of treasures, and this ikea {lockable} cabinet to keep everything safe from her little sisters sticky fingers {as we are unable to afford her the luxury of her own room}

and then it was cake time.

twinkling

shortly followed by cake demolition time {thanks Cam, I just couldn't do it.}

demolished

and soon enough the kids birthdays were over for another year...