Tuesday, 5 November 2013

sitting room

20131103_0019

I thought that it was time for a room reveal, we've been working so hard for so long that I've just about forgotten how much progress we have made. When I look back over our photos for the last few months I'm quickly reminded that this space didn't always look like its current bright, white self.

Here, lets have a look at this room as it was in the real estate add… sometimes I can't believe that I even looked through this house, let alone 'knew' that it was the one… but I had vision, and I thank my lucky stars every day that I did...

03

On the day that we settled, it looked quite spacious I guess, but as you know that pink wall had to go, as with the floors, curtains, brown trim… well mostly everything.

20130802_0013

So we rolled up our sleeves and got started… this shot shows all of the trims painted, the curtains gone, and the floors sanded back and sealed {I can tell be the clean but yellow-y colour}

20130826_0011v2

but still, that pink wall just had to go!

20130830_0015

Now I am loving this part of our {being the parents retreat} room. It's light, bright and white, just how I like it.

I've been picking up bit's and bobs from all over, as this is an additional room to what we had before, so it needed some furniture.

20131103_0017

The lamp and dresser were ones that we already had, and since I painted my old pine dresser white last year, I am still totally in love with it. The chairs were on sale from milan direct, they are black wool so they do get a bit fluffy from the cat and in hindsight maybe I should have waited until I could afford the black leather ones?!? … I'm really happy with the way that they look though, and they swivel so as the spa is just outside this window, I can sit and watch the kids while they are splashing around out there. My only criticism with milan direct was that their shipping company was super-slow, and they left it up to me to chase up my lost parcels - so they lose big points for customer service. boo.

The coffee table - well I've mentioned before that I've spent way too much time online perusing coffee tables, and I soon knew what I didn't want in this space, but it took me ages to find something that I did want. I have no idea how I found zanui but I am so pleased that I did, when I saw this coffee table I was straight out with my tape measure and had ordered it in a flash, I think it was around $150 + delivery, and their delivery was spot on. It has oak legs and an mdf top with a high gloss finish, so it's quite heavy, but the soft organic shape works so well in this room, and creates a great traffic flow from the kitchen door into the lounge area.

Of course there is an ever revolving pile of magazines or books on the table, whatever is taking my fancy right now. Currently I have the new Kinfolk cookbook sitting there awaiting some peaceful time for me to have a read.

20131103_0066

I also spent an enjoyable morning with my sister at garden world last saturday, and as suspected was able to put my hands on the pea plant {otherwise know as string of pearls, ew} and this lovely little geometric pot. I've been wanting one of these for ages, so i'm loving it up every time I walk on by.

I also had some birthday money to burn and surprise, surprise, I spent in on another glass reagent bottle...

20131103_0052

it's huge! A whole 15 litres, and garden world sell them at the bargain price of $85, which is less that the $110 that I spent on my 10 litre amber one. At the moment it's sitting on the floor next to my dresser, and as I already have five terrariums on the go, i'm waiting before I decide what I'm going to put in it, if anything. Of course I have plenty inspiration on pinterest, here, here and here.

and of course, speaking of terrariums - this vessel was my 'congratulation we just bought a house' gift that I bought for myself on my way to picking up the keys on settlement day. I know. It was the Plantation Hurricane Large from freedom, but they also do a smaller one too. It's been sitting on the dresser since we moved in, so a few weeks ago Daisy and I spent some time converting it to a living terrarium, complete with moss from the back garden. Alice, was only a temporary addition to it while her home was being resurrected, usually it has a miniature man flying a kite in it.

20131103_0043

So I think that's it* … our peaceful retreat, full of favourite things, and just nice to sit with a cuppa and take a breath. Exactly how I envisaged it.

* if you have any questions please feel free to put them in the comments section and I'll answer them there