Monday, 4 November 2013

waste land to wonder land

I noticed a few weeks ago that I had {inadvertently} over-watered my lovely alice terrarium, so without really thinking things through, I decided to rectify this by placing my terrarium outside in the sun for a few hours so that the water could evaporate...

waste land

... and this here sunburnt land, was the result. Oops.

I left it sit for a few days while I pondered my options, and once I'd ruled out sending it by ambulance back to Rachel for some tlc, I set about fixing alice's little land.

wonder land


I tipped out all of the decorations and plants, then everything else was up-ended into a plastic tub filled with water, which meant that I could salvage the stones, sphagnum moss, and charcoal to re-use. After cleaning my flask, I carefully retrieved each stone from the murky tub of water, rinsed it off and placed them back in the bottle. Each later was carefully re-created, then I added some new green plants, and finally set alice back in her little wonderland.

wonder land

She's now back in her spot on the dresser in the sitting room...